A Generic Full Body Workout Routine

Man doing pushups

The Principles of Total Body Training

• Work every muscle group 3 times per week.
  • Select one exercise per muscle group, per day.
  • Hit each muscle group from a different angle or intensity in each workout.
  • Never go to absolute failure on any exercise; leave one rep in the bank.
  • Keep workouts under one hour, not counting warm ups and stretching.
  • Change everything up after two months.

Why Might This Be the Most Effective Form of Training?

• High frequency (how often you train any given muscle) means more chances to recover and grow stronger/bigger.
  • Low daily stimulus (# of exercises and sets per day for any given muscle) lowers your chances of overtraining.
  • Avoiding training to failure also lowers chances of overtraining.
  • Hitting muscles from all angles each week strengthens stabilizers and is proactive injury prevention.
  • Avoid muscle adaptation by changing up the whole routine after 2 months.

So What is the Routine Already?

I will outline a basic routine to follow in a 7 day period, but it can also be shortened to a 6 day period just as long as you see no signs of overtraining.

Your warm-up strategy: Please spend 5-10 minutes warming up your body with some cardio and some light weight lifting. This is your opportunity to do some shoulder rotations and non-hyperextending back extensions to warm up those areas that are prone to injury. For any given compound exercise, you decide if you want to include an initial warm-up set. I recommend it, but for a sissy exercise like bicep curls for example, you don’t really need to do a warm-up set.

Your weight/rep strategy: The first set should be a warm-up if necessary. Middle sets should increase by 10-20% depending on how you feel. Fourth set should be 100% of the max for the given rep range. For example if I can bench 100 lbs x 5 reps, I would do sets of 50 x 5, 80 x 5, 90 x 5, and 100 x 5. Once I set a new 5 rep personal record (PR) I would add the smallest amount of weight possible the next time I did that exercise. Most gyms have 2.5 lb plates, so next week I would use 105 lbs as my finishing weight on that exercise. This is called linear progression. Again, if the rep range is 5, you should be finishing with a weight you can get for 5, but not a weight that causes you to struggle to get 4.

Your exercise selection strategy: Given three workouts a week for each muscle, you must choose three exercises for each muscle group. You should choose one compound exercise and two assistance exercises. The assistance exercises should focus on bringing up weak points, fixing muscle imbalances, or breaking through a sticking point. This strategy was inspired by a training philosophy called the conjugate method.

Your exercise execution strategy: The first exercise of the workout should be done solo, as it is the most important exercise of the day. Rest for a minute or two between sets. All subsequent exercises should be done in groups of two. This is sometimes called a superset. Rest for a minute or two after each superset.

This program as it is outlined below is for men.

Ladies should do 4 sets of 7 where this program calls for 5 sets of 5.

Day 1:
a) Quads - Barbell back squats
reps: 5/5/5/5/5
b1) Chest - Incline dumbbell press
reps: 7/7/7/7
b2) Calves - Standing calf press
reps: 7/7/7/7
c1) Hamstrings - Stiff leg deadlifts
c2) Abs - (Weighted) decline sit ups
d1) Back - (Weighted) wide grip pull-ups
reps: 10/10/10
d2) Shoulders - Seated dumbbell shoulder press
reps: 10/10/10
e1) Stretch all your muscles for 10 minutes while sipping your post-workout drink.
e2) If you are still within your 60 minute workout and have gas left in the tank, do a tricep extension of your choice for 2 sets of 5 reps, or as many diamond push-ups as you can do.

Day 2:
Off or light cardio.

Day 3:
a) Chest - Flat bench press
reps: 5/5/5/5/5
b1) Quads - Step ups onto a bench or box holding dumbbells
reps: 7/7/7/7
b2) Abs - Lying leg raises, get your lower back and butt off the floor, try to touch the ceiling with your toes
reps: 20/20/20/20
c1) Back/Hamstrings – Standing bent over dumbbell rows
c2) Calves - Seated calf raises
d1) Shoulders - Standing dumbbell raises to the side
reps: 10/10/10
d2) Biceps - Standing alternating dumbbell curls
reps: 10/10/10
e2) If you are still within your 60 minute workout and have gas left in the tank, do a hamstring curl machine for 2 sets of 5 reps;or lock your heels under something with the instep of your foot facing down and, starting with your thighs perpendicular to the floor, lower your upper body forward and down a couple degrees then use your hamstrings to pull it back up. I’ll have to see if I can find a picture of this somewhere.

Day 4:
Off or light cardio.

Day 5:
a) Hamstrings - Deadlifts
reps: 5/5/5/5/5
b1) Shoulders - Standing overhead shoulder press
reps: 7/7/7/7
b2) Abs - Standing side bends holding dumbbells
reps: 7/7/7/7
c1) Quads - Alternating barbell lunges
c2) Triceps/Chest – Decline close grip bench
d1) Back/Biceps – (Weighted) close grip chin-ups
reps: 10/10/10
d2) Calves – One leg standing calf raise on a 2 inch block or plate holding a dumbbell
reps: 10/10/10
e2) If you are still within your 60 minute workout and have gas left in the tank, do two sets of clapping pushups.

Day 6 and Day 7:
Off or light cardio.

So that’s it! Please take this full body workout routine with a grain of salt. At times you might need to skip the e) exercises and maybe even one of the second exercises in the d) superset. This will not kill you. Feel free to change up the exercises if you think you know what appropriate replacements would be. This is just a guide for those that have never experiences total body training before.

This workout should only be done for 2 months max before you either try a different workout, specialize for a certain muscle group, or completely overhaul the exercises and reps.

If I have helped or inspired you, please leave me a message so that I can tell that someone is actually reading this blog. Good luck!

Use Facebook to Comment on this Post

Tags: , ,

338 Responses to “A Generic Full Body Workout Routine”

1. Gary says:

Hey Steve. I think you missed my last question. Probably because I replied to your answer and it’s in blue. Thanks for taking the time to help us. It really is appreciated.

2. shashank says:

Hi Steve,
    I have been lifting since over 2 years now and have made some gains (Chest 42 inches) But my arms are too small (14.5 inches). I know about 1.5g /kg bodyweight and similar protein and carb requirements. Kindly suggest me a workout schedule to increase my arms. Also, tell me whether body p[art per day for 5 days a week is a good workout program or not?

• Steve says:

If you want to get bigger you should follow Werewolf Training for muscle gains for about 2 months, then strength gains for 2 months. I don’t like the 1 muscle per day split, instead I prefer full body workouts or an upper/lower body split.

3. kandy says:

Fantastic submit once again mate. I believe you’ve hit the nail about the head there. It does not ought to be challenging yet mose men and women fail to recognize the basics.

4. bunny says:

i just started and going to follow ur plan..tell me anything else which can help a beginner

• Steve says:

Don’t miss a workout. Push yourself with max intensity. Failure is all mental.
      Diet is worth 75% of your progress; training is 15%; lifestyle is 10%.

5. Gary says:

O Where Art Thou Steve? :(

• Steve says:

OK, I answered your question. Go back and check. I’ve been really busy in life and haven’t had that much time to answer questions or even to write new content. Hell, I haven’t checked my email in a week and now I’m scared to even login. =(

6. Krishna says:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the post. I am going to start this amazing workout from tomorrow. I have been isolating muscles for the past few years and I guess its time to change. I am trying to tone/define my upper body muscles(back, chest, arms, shoulders) and bulk/gain lower body muscles (thighs, butt and calves) what modifications do you recommend in terms of reps.

Thanks for your time and valuable support.

– Krishna

7. Pete says:

Steve,
    Im trying to fit some high intensity road cycling into my full body workout routine in place of light cardio on non lifting days. What should i do to try and minimize muscle fatique and possible loss? i am currently intaking roughly 2000 cals with a target weight of 165-170, I realize this is a question with a lot of variables, I just want to avoid injury through over training.
    Thanks,
    Pete

• Steve says:

Just eat enough calories and make sure you rest every 4th or 5th day, or at least take off one full day a week. I’d really need to know a lot more about your training, diet, and lifestyle to make a better recommendation, but I don’t really see too much of a problem with what you want to do.

8. Gary says:

Steve. Thanks for your replies. I’ve recently noticed that since I’ve basically stopped doing iso moves and concentrate on compounds that I am getting stronger and getting more definition, even at the ripe old age of 43. Is that coincidence? I think not.

Also, trying to shed more belly fat by picking up the intensity (supersets) and have been doing s circuit routine on cardio days and have finally moved away from the monotony of the machines and “fat burning zone.”

This is my routine. Tell me what you think.

100 rope jumps
    15-20 pushups on Bosu ball
    20 KB swins with 16 KG KB. (A bit light for me)

Occasionally, I will substitue the KB swings with 10 burpees.

I do ten circuits and try to limit my rest to 60-90 seconds between circuits. My endurance is really improving each week and I do this three days a week between lifting sessions of course.

The most satisfying part is the amount of people that come up and tell me what a great workout it is. I even had one trainer call me a “Ball of fire” the other day. :)

9. Gary says:

Hey Steve. I’m baaaaccccckkkk.:)

Since my last post I’ve now graduated to kb snatches. So, my routine cardio routine has changed a bit. It’s now as followed.

10 circuits of the following:

100 rope jumps
    10 snatches right and left side (20 total)
    20 pushups on Bosu ball.

Rest as needed.

I’m using a 16 KG KB and feel it’s time to move up, but I want to make sure I get the main lifts down before doing so. I wish I would’ve discovered the KB a while ago because along with this routine and an increaase in veggies, eating yogurt, and doing TB workouts X’s 3 the stomach is FINALLY going away.

I just want your opinion on the above routine and make sure I’m not over doing it.

10. [...] There are about 956,586 workout routines that you can try. One of the most effective types of routines I have found in my first 14 years of training is total body training. [...]

11. dave says:

Hey Steve. I was hoping you could point me in the direction of a good all dumbbell workout. I’m on vacation from college in Europe and only have a mediocre weight bench (bowflex 3.1) and adjustable dumbbells (120 lbs of weights in all – not anywhere near my max). Other than a routine do you think I can actually make some gains with this or should i invest in more weights/other equipment. would join a gym but here in london theyre crazy expensive for short term contracts. Thanks for your help

12. Gary says:

Thanks Steve. I guess i should have been more specific with my question. Is it okay to do the above routine in conjunction with heavy weight training? I do lifting three days a week and the above routine three days a week. I feel good, but don’t want to over-train.

13. Broke says:

Hey! What an amazing site, thank you so much :)
    My question is: Do you have any recommendations for people who don’t have money for a gym membership or access to barbells/machines? I have some resistance bands, an 8 lb medicine ball, and 10/15/20 lb dumbbells but unfortunately that is all.
    Thanks again.

14. Nathan says:

Hi, very pleased with this article. Is it possible to have a much more general version of this workout plan? Almost like a training-wheel plan for those not quite ready for the whole deal(me). I go every other day and I like to do 45 min of cardio before lifting as I am trying to lose weight. So I only have been doing around 3 different lifts after cardio each time. Any thoughts? Thanks

15. Chris M says:

Hiya Steve……. ive been doing a 5 day split program for about 4 years now. I always change up the exercises to keep it fresh, do supersets/pyramids ect now and then but i feel as though im not adding as much muscle mass as i would like.
    Will this full body routine help with that as im looking for a good change and never tryed a full body. My aim is basically to get bigger and bigger and put on as much mass as i can as ive always been a slim guy and im hoping a full body workout will help with that.

16. James says:

I have been looking for a new and effective workout routine and I think this one is it!!

• Gary says:

James. I’ve been doing this workout for a while now and it is a great workout that will get you results if you stay consistent and are smart about your diet.

17. Peter says:

Steve, what are your thoughts on lifting twice a day with the full body workout routine? lookin to gain size. i dont have a consistant spotter so doing traditional heavy weight low rep sets is difficult.

18. Matt says:

Hi there. I’m a 20 year old with only 2 weeks experience of bodybuilding, can I follow this routine? Btw, I have a lot of experience in bodyweight training and my slow pushup max is 60 at the moment.
    Great website. Keep up the great work!

• Steve says:

Thanks. This is a good program, but the Werewolf Training routines are even better. Or the updated full body workout routines for fat loss – one for men, one for women.

19. Ashley Buckwell says:

Hi there, getting back into the swing of training again after a long spell due to working long hours (7 yrs mining trades) and now in poor shape but now back at the gym and loving it and having great results,
    Have been doing a power routine but was looking for a good total body and have used your example as a template as follows :

Total Body Conditioning workout 3 weeks light weights 1 week heavy, increasing progress for a total of 8 weeks – train hard ,sweat a lot, loose body fat & gain muscle……..
    Workout #1
    a) Quads – Barbell back squats
    reps: 5/5/5/5/5
    b1) Chest – Incline dumbbell press
    reps: 7/7/7/7
    b2) Calves – Standing calf press
    reps: 7/7/7/7
    c1) Hamstrings – Stiff leg deadlifts
    c2) Abs – (Weighted) decline sit ups
    d1) Back – seated rows or wide grip lat pulldowns
    reps: 10/10/10/6
    d2) Shoulders – Seated dumbbell shoulder press
    reps: 10/10/10 extra – tricep extentions 2 sets of 5 reps.
    Workout #2
    a) Chest – Flat bench press
    reps: 5/5/5/5/5
    b1) Quads – Step ups onto a bench or box holding dumbbells
    reps: 7/7/7/7
    b2) Abs – Lying leg raises, get your lower back and butt off the floor, try to touch the ceiling with your toes
    reps: 20/20/20/20
    c1) Back/Hamstrings – Standing bent over dumbbell rows
    c2) Calves – Seated calf raises
    d1) Shoulders – Standing dumbbell raises to the side
    reps: 10/10/10
    d2) Biceps – preacher curls or dumbbell curls
    reps: 10/10/10/10 extra – hamstring curl machine for 2 sets of 5 reps.
    Workout #3
    a) Hamstrings – Deadlifts
    reps: 5/5/5/5/5
    b1) Shoulders – Standing overhead shoulder press
    reps: 7/7/7/7
    b2) Abs – Crunches
    reps: 20/20/20/20/20
    c1) Quads – Alternating barbell lunges
    c2) Triceps/Chest – Dumbbell pullovers
    d1) Back/Biceps – close grip chin-ups or T bar rows
    reps: 10/10/10
    reps: 10/10/10 extra – tricep cable pushdowns for 2 sets of 5 reps.

Day 1 – workout #1 Day 2 off or light cardio -row, run, ride, swim
    Day 3 – workout # Day 4 off or light cardio
    Day 5 – workout # Day 6-7 off or light cardio

This workout allows me to use the equipment in the gym on busy nights and make adjustments around them, I have made some of the changes to add some of my favorite exercises ( that give me good results as well) I would appreciate any comments or variations you may suggest…..

20. Bobby says:

Hey Steve, I really need some help
    Im 16 years old and I really want to gain mass and get toned, because i’m skinny at the moment. Ive been goin to the gym for a while, and ive been lifting but i started to realize ive only been doin my upper body, and if i continue this im going to end up with an unbalanced physique. Im planning on using your workout schedule. my only concern is that ive heard that its not good to work a bunch of different muscles on the same day and that you should isolate the muscle groups and work different muscles each day. I wanted to know if this is the case or can you actually work a bunch of different muscles in one day and will you see the same kind of results as if you isolated them?

21. Achrine.Siscio says:

Well i couldnt find my last post so I’ll jut assume you moved it or something and I’ll repost here just so i can find it

Well I do a basis weekly routine and I would like some input on if i should modify it or keep as it is.

ok here it is

Monday. Biceps= Hammer curls, 30 pounds 3 reps
    Tuesday. Abs=level and incline crunches, 3 reps at least thirty each
    Wednesday. Upper Chest= inclined bench press, 3 reps inner and outer chest
    Thursday. Forearm/ Calves, Unknown
    Friday. Triceps= Skullcrushers and other, 3 reps each 25 pounds(other) 75 Skull crusher
    Saturday. Lower chest= bench press, 3 reps 90
    Sunday. Back and shoulder=pull ups and Military Press, 3 reps of 60 pounds

22. MAC says:

Steve,
    I’m a 30 something female and have been doing this routine for a few months now and was wondering what changes you would make to re-vamp it. I really enjoy the supersets, but am not sure what the appropriate replacements would be. Thanks!

23. Pat says:

Hi Steve,
    looks like an awesome training, I will try this as soon as possible. I have been working out for the last 4 year and have reached a maximum. I am 6 feet 2 inch and 180lbs, I’ve been stuck at that weight for the last 2 years. My goal is to be 190lbs. I was wondering what kind of rep and sets should I do?
    I am also trying to get rid of a little fat on the abdominal section, would I need HIIT on my cardio time?
    Thank you.

24. Pete says:

Steve,
    I just wanted to say thanks, since i stumbled onto this website about 8 months ago i have made drastic improvements in every category. i started at 195lbs. with a combined bench, dead lift, and squat total of around 600lbs. Now im 157 lbs. @ 7% body fat with a combined total of about 900lbs! I’ve definitely been spreading the word about this site, thanks again!

• Steve says:

Great gains Pete! Keep it up! Thanks also for spreading the word buddy. I know we’ll get even more people around here once I can get the forum up.

25. Pat says:

Hi Steve
    Congrats on your website, Love it.
    I really like that training and will start it as soon as possible. I was wondering, if I want to gain more weight how much sets and reps do I need to do?
    Also I have a little fat in the abdominal section, to fix this I know I need to watch my diet but I was wondering if I should do HIIT cardio on days of cardio?
    Thank you.

• Steve says:

You should choose either muscle gain or fat loss. HIIT can be done on endurance cardio days. There are routines on Project Swole specifically designed for whatever you want to do.

26. April says:

Hey Steve, thanks for this site I really appreciate the time you put into it. I am looking to build endurance. I am planning a week long backpacking excursion in 6 weeks, and I would like to lose extra weight (less to carry) and gain strength and endurance. I am already in decent shape and my BMI is around 18%, I would like to drop that to about 15%. Should I do something like the weight loss routine, or should I keep doing what I’m doing – walking, with hills and sprints added in and weight training 3 days p/week. I guess what I am asking, is will the cardio part of the weight loss routine give me the endurance that I need? Thanks!!! April

• Steve says:

I’d like to see you do some extra cardio to prepare for your trip. Even though you will be walking a lot on your trip, I don’t see any reason to actually use walking in your training, unless you’re walking with added weight. Stick to the high intensity stuff, but definitely don’t focus on building muscle. Keep it heavy and do your high intensity cardio, but stay away from the 10-15 rep range as it tends to build muscle rather than anything else.

27. Scott says:

Hi Steve,

Is it ok to change around the days. If I want to do the day 5 work out for day 3 and visa versa?

• Steve says:

I designed the routine that way for a reason. If you change it, I can’t guarantee results. Do what you need to do for you though, and let me know how it turns out.

28. kevron says:

So two months is all it takes to see real gains

• Mod says:

It all depends on you… if you give 100% on each training, and if you eat right, you will see real gains in just a matter of time.

29. Ghazi says:

Any recommendation regarding increasing the pull ups intensity, I’ve been tried a lot man but still I can’t do more than 4 reps.

thanks

30. Woodrow says:

Hey Steve,
    I’ve been doing this routine pretty religiously for a a couple of months and have actually noticed some pretty good gains especially in the legs and chest. My one area of concern is in my arms and shoulders. I’m 6’5″ and have really long arms. My shoulders and biceps never seem to gain much in the department of size and strenghth.Tri’s are just fine. Any recommendations? Also i’ve been using milk with my post workout protein shake but was curious if switching to water would maybe help in the fat loss category a bit more. Lastly, tart cherry concentrate? I’ve heard the anti inflammatory properties are noticable and its high in natural melatonin which i have read can increase growth hormone. Just wondering.Thanks Steve!

31. Serandos says:

Steve,

I am NOT a personal trainer, but I have been lifting for a long time. I have some people that I work with that come to the gym in the mornings when I am there and I have taken 2 “under my wing”. Not like that is saying much, but I am trying to help. ANYWAY, I am using this workout to start a lady on a full-body, 4 day a week split. Any suggestions?

32. Xposed Expo says:

I was looking out for something like this, good found this one… Nice site. Interesting article.

33. ihsan khan says:

Respested Sir:
    i have a good look nd height of 5’9, nice body shape but
    i want to decrese my weast i-e 34″ ,what diet and exercise i do to gain weast of 32″,
    i will unpatiently wait for ur reply sir
    im very thankfull to you fr ur supreeme suggestion

34. David says:

I have used this program with great success! I am a basketball player with no consistent weight room exp. and I have seen awesome results using this. My squat when I started was 155 and I was shaky and was relying on my knees to control too much. I now squat 225×5 and use my hips to control the movement. This program is fantastic and I plan to use it for another month! Please post another one, preferably something more sport specific!The only thing I would suggest would be to take off doing RDL and DL in the same week, instead put like a glute ham raise or kettlebell swing! I understand that this is a cookie cutter program but its very solid. I would love to have a more customized athletic specific routine but I dont have the means to buy a training e-book at the moment. I can give u all my stats in detail so we can find something more tailored for me. Ive ran this program by several good sources and they all liked it and asked me about where I got it. Thank you!

• Steve says:

I’d like you to keep in touch with me and let me know how your training is going. Maybe we could work out a custom plan, but like the e-book, it’s going to cost ya.

35. Mat says:

Is only one ABS work each workout enough?

36. Antuan Velasco says:

Hi first off I’d like to say that this is an amazing routine and I would love to give it a shot. But I also h r a couple o questions. Currently I am 6′ tall an weigh about 205lbs. My BMI is probably around the 26-28% range. I am trying to build muscle while losing fat.
    My current routine consists of an upper body day( arms, shoulders, chest and upper back). Lower body ( quads , hams, calves and Glutes). And a core day ( abs, obliques, lower back). I don’t have a sry schedule so I kind of just perform the exercises depending on how I’m feeling. I usually get all 3 within a weeks time but sometimes I’ll squeeze in 4-5. I don’t ever do lower body and core within a day of eachother as the recovery from one muscle group will make me perform weaker then the other. All my workouts start off with a 10 minute warm up and end with about 15-20 minutes of high intensity cardio. Being either sprints, fast pace jogs for 2 minutes with 1 minute rest. Or intervals on an elliptical, cycle, treadmill or stepmachine.

I have also supplemented my workouts with a whey protein shake after the gym. And taking creatine daily. As I have said before I have not been consistent with my workouts but I really have not seen any gains or losses throughout the course of three months. It wasn’t untill I did some research that I discovered fat loss+muscle gain pretty mug counteract eachother. Could that be why I was stuck in a rut. Any suggestions? I also train in Judo/Ju Jitsu twice a week and the conditioning and bodyweight exercises can leave me pretty winded as well.

I ideally want to be at around 180-185 pounds. Seeing as I feel I am not strong enough to compete in the heavier weight classes, I know that lifting and gaining muscle mass would help with this issue as well. Thanks

• Antuan Velasco says:

Sorry just realized that post would probably have been better posted on a forum. I was just wondering if the full body routine could be applied to someone trying to lose weight and gain muscle, While also training in judo twice a week.

37. Andrea says:

hey steve. i just started this workout routine today and really liked it. good work on that, with that being said, i read your hiit article which was well explained that you could overtrain. so my question is can i do hiit on the stationary bike while doing this routine in my off days?
    Thanks

• Steve says:

I think you could give it a try. You might find it beneficial to take a day off before your most intense leg training day, or to scale down the direct leg training during your lifting sessions. Ultimately though it should work well.

38. Mycke says:

Hey Steve I’m just starting on your workout and I love it, but I was wondering if you could give me a few nutrition tips as far as what to eat.when to eat what not to eat etc. I wanna use this workout to its full potential and I kno nutrition is pretty important especially when first starting.

• Steve says:

First determine your goals. Then eat more or eat less depending on your goals. What are your goals?

• Mycke says:

I really want to gain muscle and lose weight. I’m not overweight just have extra fat that I’m wanting to get rid of so I’m adding on running a mile or more every three days. But yeah I really just want to gain a lot of muscle mainly

39. Mario says:

I have work out for many months ago and because i am an
    ectomorph is really hard for me to gain muscle, so for now i won’t start the werewolf training and will use the workout for beginners for some muscle

40. Sunny says:

Hi Steve

I have recently started working out about 3 months before. My age is 23. I have worked out before when i was 21 for about 1 year. i thing which i noticed then and now also is that i get descent results with chest and lower body but it is the Arms which do not tend to get results even if i work really hard. I have 13 inch arms and would really like to increase them to atleast 15″. Please advice as to how can i get descent results for arms and what kind of exercise should i do for Arms as this time i am sure i will continue with working out for some time.

• Steve says:

Focus more on triceps than on biceps, since triceps are 2/3 of your arm mass. Use a combination of heavy exercises in the 3-5 rep range and lighter exercise in the 8-12 rep range.

• Sunny says:

Thanks for the info
        Steve is it possible to achieve good muscle mass with just 100% whey protein and natural protein sources or things like MASS GAINER or CREATINE? My workout routine prepared by my trainer is
        Mon:- Cardio & Abs
        Tue:- Shoulders and Legs
        Wed:- Back & Bisceps
        Thr:- Chest & Triceps
        Fri:- Cardio & Abs
        Sat/Sun:- Rest

Please give your opinion about this workout. I have been following your website for a while now and really like it.

• Steve says:

I don’t want to knock your trainer, but I’d rather see a program structured like this:

Mon:- Cardio & Abs
          Tue:- Back & Biceps
          Wed:- Shoulders and Legs
          Thur:- Cardio & Abs
          Fri:- Chest & Triceps
          Sat/Sun:- Rest

This gives you some rest on Thursday so you can perform maximally on Friday, rather than lifting for 3 days straight.

You could also try:

Mon:- Back & Traps, Hamstring specific leg training & Calves, Biceps
          Tues:- Cardio & Abs
          Wed:- Chest & Triceps
          Thur:- Cardio & Abs
          Fri:- Quad specific leg training & Calves, Shoulders
          Sat/Sun:- Rest

This way you get every other day off from intense lifting, and you get to hit your legs twice in a week, which is always good for full body growth.

• Sunny says:

Thanks Steve for the reply, i will surely talk to my Trainer to work something out.
            Steve about my first question. Are Mass Gainers or stuff like Creatine necessary for good muscle mass or Whey Protein and natural proteins can do the trick.

41. Dylan says:

I have just started working out over the past two weeks and your website has been an incredible help! I just wanted to say thanks for all your great advice! Also, do you have any suggestions for pre and post workout supplements?

• Steve says:

Pre-workout should be some complex carbs and BCAAs. Post-workout should be a supplement like Biotest Surge or 2 glasses of fat free chocolate milk with more BCAAs.

42. Jeffrey says:

Whats up Steve? I’ve been working out steadily for about 2 years now, I’m getting stronger on nearly every muscle group that I lift however I have yet to gain weight. I’ve weighed roughly 165 to 168 for a little over a year now and I would think that as I became stronger I would gain weight but it hasn’t been the case. Any thoughts as to why, or suggestions to help with weight gain? And I can’t really afford supplements so If you have any advice without the use of them that’d be great.

43. F&P says:

I got my best results with this type of training.

44. Deanna says:

Hi there,

I just started day one of your workout. I have always done a 3-day rotation workout so a full body routine is new to me. Although I had to make some modifications because I’m working out in my home gym, I really enjoyed day one. I think I need to lift heavier weights, though because I didn’t really feel it afterwards they way I’m used to feeling my workouts.

Thanks for the information!

45. Lewis says:

I have been using a Military Style Workout to get all round fitness. I find it is good for beginners, and you scale up for elite atheltes. Good solid basic exercises to buiold core strength and stamina.

46. Steve says:

Hi,

Figure I’d leave a message to say I read this and I’m gonna give it a shot ! Thanks for the suggestions

Steve

47. nancy says:

Great article I was going to tell you that the only difference was that I was doing my abs the same day as cardio…but I saw a response to Sunny and i do the same with the exception I also do cardio on Saturday. Now I know at least that I am doing the correct training.

Mon:- Back & Traps, Hamstring specific leg training & Calves, Biceps
    Tues:- Cardio & Abs
    Wed:- Chest & Triceps
    Thur:- Cardio & Abs
    Fri:- Quad specific leg training & Calves, Shoulders
    Sat/Sun:- Rest

48. JoeGQ says:

what is a standing bent over dumbbell row ? is there anything that shows the exercise ?

49. Cindy says:

I like this routine. I’ve been trying to find something to begin with that doesn’t include machines and I can do this routine at home with my free weights. Awesome!

50. Cindy says:

Just need to figure out how to do incline and decline moves. I don’t have a bench.