High Protein Kitty Litter Cake Recipe for Halloween
This is one of the more disgusting Halloween recipes I’ve found. It is also not the healthiest recipe on Project Swole, but it is definitely fun for the kids. Just don’t let Fluffy near the final product or you might end up with more ‘Tootsie Rolls’ than you thought.
In an attempt to get as much protein into this recipe as possible, I am literally adding scoops of protein powder to everything and substituting protein bars for candy whenever possible. The recipe might not come out that great if you use every one of my substitutions, but you can pick and choose which substitutions to use based on personal preference.
I’ve also listed several substitutions to the cake recipes. If you use them all, the cake might not be that great, but using applesauce in place of oil never seems to ruin any recipe that I have ever tried.
High Protein, Low Fat (kinda) Kitty Litter Cake Recipe
- 1 package German chocolate cake mix (18 oz)
- all the ingredients needed to make the German chocolate cake and the white cake, but substitute the following ingredients when possible:
- Egg whites instead of eggs – 2 egg whites = 1 egg
- Applesauce instead of oil – equal substitution
- Applesauce instead of butter – equal substitution, but if oil and butter are both used in your cake recipe, substitute applesauce for oil but don’t substitute the butter, otherwise your cake will probably not cook that well.
- Splenda or a sucrose-base sweetener instead of sugar – equal substitution
- Add one scoop of vanilla protein powder to vanilla cake and one scoop of chocolate protein powder to chocolate cake.
- 1 package white cake mix (18 oz)
- 2 packages instant vanilla pudding mix, use skim milk to make
- 2 scoops vanilla or unflavored protein powder (not included in original recipe)
- 12 oz of vanilla protein cookies. (original recipe calls for vanilla sandwich cookies)
- 3 drops green food coloring
- 12 oz of chocolate protein bars, cut into Tootsie Roll sized strips. (original recipe calls for Tootsie Rolls)
- A box or pan that resembles a kitty litter box.
- Kitty litter liner – wax paper or clear thin plastic bag to sit between the litter box and the food.
- Something to use as a pooper scooper.
- Prepare cake mixes and bake according to package directions except when using the substitutions listed above.
- Dump pudding mix and protein powder in a bowl together.
- Prepare pudding according to package directions using skim milk, add at least 1/4 cup extra skim milk to compensate for the extra protein.
- Chill protein pudding until ready to assemble.
- Crumble cookies in small batches by hand or in a food processor.
- Set aside all but 1/4 cup of crumbled cookies. Add a few drops of green food coloring to the 1/4 cup of cookies, then mix.
- When cakes are cooled to room temperature, crumble them into a large bowl.
- Toss cakes with 1/2 of the remaining cookie crumbs and the chilled protein pudding. You probably won’t need all of the pudding, you want the cake to be just moist, not soggy.
- Eat excess protein pudding, Yum Yum!
- Line kitty litter box with the kitty litter liner.
- Put cake mixture into box.
- Heat 1/2 of the strips of chocolate protein bars in Microwave until softened.
- Bend softened protein strips slightly and round off the ends so they look more like turds.
- Mix and bury turds randomly into the cake.
- Sprinkle half of the remaining cookie crumbles and half of the green cookie crumbles over the top.
- Heat 4 protein strips until they are nearly melted.
- Scrape melted strips onto the top of the cake mixture and sprinkle with green cookie crumbles.
- Soften the remaining protein strips as before and shape into doogens as before.
- Place all but one doogen on top of the cake mixture.
- Sprinkle remaining vanilla cookie crumbles over top.
- Hang the last doogen over the side of the litter box and sprinkle with green cookies crumbles.
- Sprinkle remaining green cookie crumbles over top of cake mixture.
- Serve with pooper scooper.
Note: If you use Tootsie Rolls instead of protein bar strips, the instructions are exactly the same.
I have no idea what the nutritional content of this recipe is. You can experiment with different ingredients to make the recipe healthier, tastier, or grosser. Consider squirting a little bit of chocolate sauce in one or two areas as well. You can really get super-creative with this recipe.