Personal trainer and fitness coach Haylee Colannino sometimes struggles with insomnia as I do, and likely as you do. Life is stressful, anxiety is real, and sometimes you just can’t shut off your brain when it’s logically time to sleep. Shit happens. So, how do we function without enough sleep when we have to work, workout, tend to family needs, and the rest of life’s adulting demands?
As we all know, sleep deprivation can have negative effects on your health, but there are ways help get through the next day when you haven’t had enough zzzs. I’ll let Haylee explain in full, in the video below, but here are her essential takeaways to get through the day when you haven’t had enough sleep:
- Don’t exercise too hard, your body is already stressed out. Perhaps alter your daily workout to a recovery session or day off.
- Stay hydrated to help keep your hormones and hunger pangs in check.
- Eat healthy, nutrient-rich food to keep your blood sugar steady and provide your body with the vitamins and minerals to function.
- Use an intelligent supplement strategy. Follow your typical vitamin regimen, making sure to get enough B-12 and vitamin D in particular.
- “Divide & Conquer” – accomplish your highest priority goals, don’t push it too hard, don’t try to do too much, make sure to follow the tips above as your body requires. Take a nap if you have to, but don’t waste the day trying to catch up on sleep.
If you want more excellent health, fitness, and nutrition tips from Coach Haylee, request to join her Facebook group Falling in Love with Taking Care of Yourself, and follow her on social media to get her super-helpful recipes, exercise tips, and lifestyle hacks to be the best you that you can be. Always remember that you get out of it, what you put into it.