HIRT and Swolen is a High Intensity Resistance Training routine that you can use to either burn fat, build muscle, or maybe even both. It is a circuit of compound exercises performed back-to-back-to-back without rest (sometimes called a giant set), followed by a taxing abdominal superset.
You can use HIRT and Swolen twice a week with light weight in addition to your standard workout routine, if you are looking to get ripped. If your only goal is to build muscle, then use more weight and opt for 90 seconds rest between sets, but be careful not to overtrain if you are still performing your standard workout routine.
- 5 sets
- 5 reps per set
- no rest during the set, that means no rest between exercise and no rest between reps
- 1 rep means you have to complete each of the exercises back-to-back-to-back once
- Level 1: 90 seconds rest between sets
- Level 2: 60 seconds rest between sets
- Level 3: 30 seconds rest between sets
Start with the loaded barbell on the floor, feet shoulder width, hands shoulder width on the bar, head up, back straight.
- Hang Clean
- Front Squat
- Push Press
- Back Squat
- Back Push Press
After you complete the rep, return the bar to the floor, prepare for a deadlift to start the next rep.
After you complete all 5 sets above, it will be time to train your abs hard. Do 3 sets of the following abdominal giant set.
- Weighted Sit Ups – 7 reps
- Captains Chair – 15 reps
- Rest 30 seconds
- Weighted Russian Twist – 12 reps
- Ab Wheel Rollouts – as many as possible (from your knees or feet, depending on your core strength)
- Rest 30 seconds and repeat
Many of you may not be able to handle such a giant set due to many factors including inexperience, injury, weakness, lack of conditioning, or whatever other excuse you can come up with. However if you do spend about 30-35 minutes using this routine every other day for a month, I guarantee you will lose a ton of body fat as long as you eat properly.