What is High Intensity Resistance Training (HIRT)?
High Intensity Resistance Training (HIRT) is essentially resistance training for fat loss, and like HIIT, it really is a big deal. HIRT training is the most effective way to increase your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR), increase your Exercise Post Oxygen Consumption (EPOC), and burn calories at the same time.
When using HIRT you will execute several exercises together (sometimes called a super-set or giant-set), for a certain number of reps per set, for a certain number of minutes, without rest.
Along with HIIT, HIRT is a useful tool when avoiding endurance cardio while trying to lose fat, and it actually increases muscle mass more effectively than HIIT.
HIRT training will give you the following benefits:
- Increase metabolism for up to 36 hours post-workout
- Outperform aerobic exercise in fat loss studies
- Maintain muscle mass on a low calorie diet
- Build muscle mass on a moderate to high calorie diet
- Minimize fat gain on a high calorie diet
- Burn more calories than endurance cardio
- Increase muscle density
- Improve anaerobic endurance
- Improve aerobic endurance